Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Development of the Emergency Friend and Brainstorming Death Scenarios

One thing I dealt with longer than most people I know - which is, granted, not a lot - is living completely on my own without a roommate. I never lived with anyone after my junior year in college, and I also pretty much lived alone my freshman year of college because my assigned roommate moved out. Then again, like, three of my friends piled in. . .soo...

Right.

Anyhow, most of my friends were living with their life-mates or roommate or whatever. They weren't alone as much as I was alone. Being alone isn't bad it just presents certain problems when it comes to life and death, let's say.

My friend, we'll call him Maximus McThunderfart, use to text me when he was going on a date and where he would be and at the end of the night he would text me he was still alive. Or my job was to text him the next morning to make sure he was still alive.

Same for me - I would let him know where I was going and with who. It was nice because there wasn't judgement or questions being asked about it.

Then we talked about how long it would actually take someone to find our bodies if we died. Like just randomly. The scenario was something like this:

Without having a scheduled day off or holiday, if you died on a Friday after you got home from work, how long would it take someone to come find you?
And the answers were:

Max: Tuesday
Maddie: Monday night

I argued that people where I worked knew I could die and knew I kept a pretty strict schedule so they would automatically assume I was dead if I didn't show up exactly at 8am on Monday morning. They would probably call the police and probably by Monday night someone would have found my body. Police do "wellness checks" these days if you think someone might be in danger or dead, once that alarm is raised you'd assume you'd be found within 24 hours.  

Then we adjusted the perimeters to see how long we would be decomposing before someone noticed. Here is how it played out:

Removing family or work form the situation - how long would it take someone to call the police due to your dead body decomposing?
Max: I would only leave off the fresh, sweet smell of roasted garlic. Everyone would rejoice.
Maddie: My building is old and I live over a retail store. Assuming I died in my kitchen, I would eventually be dripping down the pipes and someone would call because that's not good for a retail environment. If I died in bed, there would be a higher material absorption. Let's say a week?

How long would it take someone to find you if you died right after Thanksgiving day knowing it's a four-day weekend?
Max: 5 days
Maddie: No, 0 days. Because Mystery Case Files (MCF) comes out the day after Thanksgiving and I would literally come back as a zombie to play it. Then I would have the un-dead decency to let someone know I was dead. After I played all the bonus content.

You are murdered on a date, how long until your body is found?
Max: I keep a file on everything I know about the people I see on my computer. When would you call the police?
Maddie: I would say, if I didn't get a text from you by the following morning, by high-noon I would head over to your place. However, I think you need to be missing for 48 hours as an able-bodied adult for the police to start looking if there was no suspicious circumstances surrounding your missing-ness. I would gather that evidence and re-trace you steps in the meantime. Oh, probably call hospitals to see if you were admitted because you ate a peanut or something.
Max: If you didn't reply, I would just call your Dad. He would take care of the situation.
Maddie: Question is bunk. I was raised by a secret agent. If someone did somehow manage to murder me, they would be doing it with one eyeball and less than 10 fingers. And, yes, then you should call my Dad.

After these conversations, we decided we would be each other's Emergency Friend. If we sent suspicious communication or something, we would each know what to do and where to go for information. From that point on, we checked in with each other if we hadn’t heard anything in 24 hours. If there was no response, it would be our duty to go find the body and bring anyone responsible for the death to justice.

More people should have an Emergency Friend. If someone isn't willing to go on a hunt for your dead body, are they really your friend?

Only you can answer that for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment